Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Secret Slower Cooker - "Rotisserie" Chicken


Today is about the joy of a slow cooker – yup I have jumped on the band wagon or at least I am finally coming out of the closet about my love of the lowly slow cooker.

For years I have used my slow cooker to make the easy-peasy vegetarian chili that was the staple of Tuesday nights in my house. You know the night when some are off the Scouts, some off to higher learning and some (me) off to grocery shopping.


Two weeks ago I decided to jump in with both feet and try new recipes. I had a failure with the Rice Pudding and it took two days to soak/clean the stone ware. The Tortellini casserole was a gluey mess, tasty but very un-pretty and almost rejected by the family.

I sniffed out a number of versions of the “Rotisserie “ chicken and came up with one that my family love.

1          5 – 8 lbs. Roasting Chicken - defrosted
2 T      Brown Sugar
2T       Soya Sauce
A good pinch of salt and pepper
Aluminum foil

Cut 6 – 12inch lengths of aluminum foil. Crush each sheet into a lemon size ball and place in the slow cooker

Wash the chicken inside and out. Pat dry.

Mix brown sugar and soya sauce together and smear over the chicken – again inside and out.

Place chicken on top of the aluminum foil.

Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or low (my favorite) for 8 hours. The chicken will be falling off the bone and ready for any cooked chicken dish.

Make a quick gravy with the juices (1 T flour, 2T juices, cook one minute over a medium heat until combined. Add a little more juice, water or left over black tea – up to ½ a cup)

Serve with rice and your favorite steamed vegetables and salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment