Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Power Breakfast

My Doctor put the fear of death in my mind back in June. My cholesterol was to high, my weight was to high and my blood pressure was to high. Welcome to your fifties.

Being the type of person I am I ran to the library to find every book on the subject I could. To distill all my reading down to a few lines this is what I learned. My father was right, eat your porridge.

With a page taken from the Swiss and their muesli the new porridge is raw. That is right raw.

My first raw porridge was made with organic quick cook oats. I took 1 cup of oats and 1 cup of water. combined them and put the mix into the fridge.

In the morning I put half the mix into a bowl, added 1/2 cup yogurt and a sprinkling of mixed nuts. Good but not great.

My next mix had organic quick cook oats, steel cut oats, buckwheat and assorted nuts. Much better. Great mouth feel, chewy and nutty. I keep a large jar of the mix within easy reach. The hardest part is to remember to make up the watery mix every night.


The theory behind the breakfast is to make your stomach "work" for it's food. You need cholesterol in your body to help digest your food. By making the stomach work and use up the cholesterol in your stomach it makes the body draw the more cholesterol from your bloodstream there by lowering your reading. Well that is my unscientific reasoning.
 
Four months later I am still enjoying my chewy, healthy, cheap power breakfast. I have lost weight and gained energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment